Last year I started reading novels at a somewhat intense level for a neophyte. In this website I'll share my experiences as a reader, list and rate the books I've been reading, and generally just promote reading as something super cool to do (nerd alert!). Happy reading!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Northanger Abbey

I've always loved Jane Austen but this book makes me love her even more. It's such a fun read and it actually goes really fast compared to some of her other novels. As for the heroine; she is nothing like Austen's other ones. Austen actually warns her readers at the beginning that the protagonist will act quite stupidly sometimes. She's just a silly young girl looking for love. It's rather endearing actually! I would recommend this book to anyone, especially someone who's reading Jane Austen for the first time because it kind of eases you into the genre without blowing your mind too much. It actually makes me want to go back and read Sense and Sensibility :)

Status update: Started "The Heart of the Matter" by Graham Greene. So far it's a little depressing, but super well written.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed N.A. I always liked it, although it's more of a romp than a serious novel, I think. Austen always writes with a lot of humour but in that one she's doing a full-blown spoof. It's pretty fun. Looking forward to hearing more about that Graham Greene, one of my favourite authors.

    ReplyDelete