Last year I started reading novels at a somewhat intense level for a neophyte. In this website I'll share my experiences as a reader, list and rate the books I've been reading, and generally just promote reading as something super cool to do (nerd alert!). Happy reading!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Heart Huckleberry

I finally finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Well, I actually finished it a few weeks ago but just haven't gotten around to blogging about it! Anyway, like I mentioned in my last post about Huck, I really admire the main character, although his good qualities are often hidden away by the funny accent and the overbearing supporting characters. His consistent moral attitude and his desire to do the right thing is truly a wonderful thing to see in someone so young. But he's not your typical hero. He believes himself stupid and unlearned when in fact he quotes history and language books all throughout the novel. He also does what he feels is right in his heart even though he knows society decrees it will eventually lead to his eternal damnation.

I also found it hilarious that the character of Tom Sawyer--Huck's hero--is built up to be this amazing, courageous and inventive kid but who is in fact a young man seeking attention and greatness by inventing ridiculously complicated boneheaded schemes. He's laugh riot!

Another great character is the superstitious but noble ex-slave Jim. And his friendship with Huck is such a beautiful thing to see unravel through their crazy adventures together. This friendship is a great example of Huck following his heart; society dictates that black people at that time were slaves and should be nothing more than that to the white man. But Huck gets to know Jim and comes to appreciate his company so much that when Jim is captured Huck risks everything to try and save him (with the--one could call it "help"?--of Tom Sawyer that is!).

Next on the list: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Not sure this one is gonna end as well as Huck...

1 comment:

  1. I liked your observations about Huck, my dear. It's been awhile since I read the book but I remember liking it a lot. It's quite an adventure story on top of being a wonderful morality lesson from the most unlikely of sources (especially, as you pointed out, at that time.). Anyway, kudos, and keep sending us your book ideas!

    ReplyDelete