Last year I started reading novels at a somewhat intense level for a neophyte. In this website I'll share my experiences as a reader, list and rate the books I've been reading, and generally just promote reading as something super cool to do (nerd alert!). Happy reading!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Frankenstein

I thought I would entertain myself after that wretchedly depressing Graham Greene novel with a little horror. Frankenstein might not have been the ideal choice. The horror movies of today have NOTHING on the Gothic horror novels of the 19th century. It's not about blood and guts, it's not about shock value--it's about life. Frankenstein is a scientist driven by his passions to create life from death. However, he never bothered to think about what would happen once he succeeded. Didn't he realize he would have a giant ugly monster walking around?? What the hell did he think would happen?? If you play God, you have to also play the father; you have to take responsibility for your actions. Frankenstein left his monster to his own devices--left him to figure the world out on his own, without a guide; without a parent.


Since this is a horror novel, the price for Frankenstein's neglect has to be grave. So tons of people are killed and Frankenstein has to feel the losses one by one until he can no longer withstand the tremendous amount of grief and guilt sustained with each one. It's not so much diverting as it is really freaking sad.


"Thus not the tenderness of friendship, nor the beauty of earth, nor of heaven, could redeem my soul from woe; the very accents of love were ineffectual. I was encompassed by a cloud which no beneficial influence could penetrate. The wounded deer dragging its fainting limbs to some untrodden brake, there to gaze upon the arrow which had pierced it, and to die, was but a type of me."

-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein



That being said, it's a very well-written novel, and very well paced. And the lessons are laid out pretty clear for the reader: Curiosity killed the cat; be careful what you wish for; with great power comes great responsibility!

Next on the list: Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. I might at least get a laugh out of this one!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post, Metro Reader! You're insightful as always. I might have to recommend this for my Book Club, although at our age when we're looking back on all the things we forgot to take responsibility for that went to shit or all the loved ones we lost, I'm not sure we can take it! OH, well!

    ReplyDelete